Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Grandparents

Since my last post, life has changed permanently! God sent Kriti into our lives. There is a very strange connection between my children and my grandfather. Arjun was born on his English B'day and Kriti on his Tamil B'day! I hope my children have all his good qualities.

Grandparents form an important part of our lives. Sometimes as important as raising a kid without the child's parents being around like our president-elect Barack Obama. In my life grandparents have not played that important a role, because of living in a different city.

I do not remember the time I spent with my maternal g'father. He passed away when I was only 4. Amma says I troubled him a lot when Maya was born. Paati and thatha took care of me entirely when Mwas born. I always had a special bond with paati. I was her first grandchild and she loved me. She used to buy me anything I asked for and also cook all that I liked. I loved her idli and molaha podi. No one can make it like her. Paati also made thertipal and maaladu everytime I visited her house. Paati is my best childhood memory of a grandmother. I thank her for great memories. Now, though I must say, things have changed, she has moved on. She has other grandchildren whom she loves, they are with her. I think I just exist for her, nothing more.

I do not have any childhood memories with my paternal grandparents. We visited them every summer vacation. But thats all I remember. I had cousins who were closer my grandparents. Maya and I were almost insignificant. We were the "outsiders". Anyway as time passed, and we grew older, my cousins moved out and did not have time to spend with thatha and paati. Paati didnt talk much anyway. Till today I have not sat down and had a conversation with her. Till today I dont know if she likes Maya and me. Thatha I guess yearned to talk to his grandchildren and I was the only one who listened to him. He told me many stories from the days of the Raj. He was very happy with my marriage and was there to bless me on my wedding day. After I came to the US is called him, but towards the end, I was not allowed to talk to him, "others" would answer the call and say he couldnt talk. I did not believe them. I believe they never told him I called. He passed away in about 9 months after my wedding.

Anyway, on his last b'day I didnt call him and wish him, because I knew those "others" will not let me talk to my thatha. And I did not want to talk to those "others". I feel bad that I couldnt wish him on his last b'day. So I think thats why Arjun was born his b'day, so that I always celebrate the day for the rest of my life!

3 comments:

Maya said...

this post is inspired by ur father's post on 'his father'! :) i dont think i can ever write a post on my grandparents.

Dr. L. Ramakrishnan said...

Hi Indhu

I also feel that distance keeps you off the minds of your loved ones...especially when someone else is there to fill the space created by this distance.

One thing I believe is that we may not be right in our perception; but one has a right to have his/her perception.

Both of you can write on your parents, i.e. your children's (or would be children's) grand parents. Good , bad and the ugly face of your parents as perceived by you !!!!

Love

Appa

Anonymous said...

that's a great story :)