Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Who said......

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever" ? I asked Maya, an pat came the reply - M.K. Gandhi :)

Throughout school history we have lived on a "Gandian" diet. Each page in our 10th class history book had the name "Gandhi". Growing up in India I loved having a holiday on Oct. 2 - Mr. Gandhi's b'day and Jan. 30, Matyr's day - though he did not die fighting for the freedom of India! But thats about the end of it. They (the history books) say that M.K Gandhi was killed by a mad man, Nathuram Godse. Politicians have demonzied Godse. Anyway according to Godse's guilty plea, he said he killed Gandhi because of the latter's policies being anti-Hindu. Which may be true, obviously we wont know all that happened and we cannot trust the history books.

So...back to my post ....I wrote this post about M.K. Gandhi because I wanted to share the photo below that is from a place 8 mins from where I live. Its a statue of Gandhi and it is in the city of Sherborn, Massachusetts!

When I write about Gandhi, I have to write about Godse, because as I said... I don't trust history books written by politicians!

2 comments:

Maya said...

wow sahi... mere ko aaj bhi yaad hai khatri.. had given us essay in class 5 to write about "emre priya swatantrata sainani" i wrote about gandhi obvi.. nt cos hes my fav (u knw my feelings for him) but cos i knew only about him...a s u say history books ka hero was gandhi... even though i never studied history i stil remember gandhi ke details... and tera aur uska janam janam ka nata hai shayad.. pehle agha khan palace ke baju mein rehti thi ab stuatue ke baju mein... mast!!!! lage raho J ben!!!!

Unknown said...

I have seen this statue many times while driving though Sherborn towards Natick. I was amazed to see it but I never stopped and took a picture like you did.